Father of Burnt to Death Toddler Ali Succumbs to Wounds he Sustained in Duma Crime

NABLUS, August 8, 2015 (WAFA) – Critically injured Sa’ed Dawabsheh, Father of toddler Ali who was burnt to death during an Israeli settlers’ arson attack on two homes in Nablus’ Duma village last week, has succumbed to his critical wounds early Saturday.

Security sources informed WAFA that Sa’ed, 33, who sustained three degree burns following the arson attack, died of his critical wounds, while receiving medical treatment in an Israeli hospital.

On July 31, suspected Israeli settlers attacked two Palestinian homes with Molotov cocktails; they reportedly threw the bombs inside the bedroom window at dawn, giving the family no chance to escape. The attack claimed the life of 18-month Ali Dawabsheh, and left his Father, Sa’ed, mother, Riham, and 4-year-old brother, Ahmad, critically burnt and injured.

Ali’s Parents and little brother have been fighting for their lives across Israeli hospitals since the arson attack; the parent’s health condition remained extremely critical, necessitating ICU care, whereas Ahmad’s condition has stabilized.

Sa’ed’s uncle, Yousif Dawabsheh, said that Sa’ed, who suffered 80% burns on his  body, succumbed to his wounds after giving his final words. Sae’d’s final statement was a question about his son Ali, asking whether they have lost him or not.

In a statement issued following the death of the father, Sa’ed, the new general coordinator for the peace process in the Middle East Nikolai Mladenov, reiterated his call to bring the perpetrators of the Duma Crime to justice.

The UN coordinator expressed deep sorrow over his death and reiterated his call to UN secretary general Ban Ki-Moon, to expeditiously bring the criminals to justice. He further called on political, religious, and social leaders to work together to prevent extremists from escalating the situation  and ensure control of the political agenda.

Mladenov wished Ali’s mother, Riham, and little brother, Ahmad, a speedy recovery and offered his condolences to Sa’ed’s family and to all Palestinian people.

The arson attack was widely condemned and slammed as a terrorist act, including by US and Israel, whereas the Palestinian Authority held the Israeli government fully responsible.

Though Israeli Prime Minister pledged to bring the perpetrators to justice, President Mahmoud Abbas questioned the Israeli government’s commitment to end violence, saying the Israeli government would have been able to stop settlers’ violence if it really wanted to do that.

He said, “What happened in Duma is added to a record of crimes committed by the settlers and the Israeli government, because it sponsors settlement activities and encourages settlers’ actions.”

Meanwhile, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, Abbas’ spokesman, held the Israeli government fully responsible for his heinous crime and said it would not have happened if the Israeli government had stopped settlement construction and protecting settlers.

In the aftermath of the arson attack, Foreign Affairs Minister, Riyad Al-Malki, following formal instructions of President Mahmoud Abbas, handed over the file prepared on settlers’ violence against the Palestinian people, to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Fatou Bensouda, in Hague on August 3rd.

Al-Malki called on the ICC to speed up investigations into the situation in the occupied Palestinian Territory, particularly in light of the continued ‘inhumane war crimes’ committed by the occupation against the Palestinian people.

On 2 July, Palestinian teenager, Mohammad Abu Khudair, 17 years old, was abducted, tortured, and burnt to death by Israeli settlers.

 

 

wafa