Intensified Settlers’ Violence Continues for Fifth Day

WEST BANK, October 6, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli extremist settlers, protected by Israeli soldiers, late Monday and early  Tuesday continued – for the fifth consecutive day –  their violent revenge attacks against Palestinians all over the West Bank districts.

In Jenin district, in northern West Bank, illegal Jewish settlers broke into the sites of the abandoned settlements of Sa-Nur (Tersilla) and Homesh, close to Nablus-Jenin road, and pelted stones toward passing Palestinian vehicles while chanting racist slogans against them.

Settlers from the nearby illegal settlement of Mevo Dotan, illegally built on Ya’bad town’s land, also attacked with stones passing Palestinian vehicles at Jenin-Tulkarm road and shouted racist slogans. No injuries were reported.

Majdi Herzallah, a minibus driver from Ya’bad, said other drivers and himself  survived a stone attack by Mevo Dotan’s settlers, but when he tried to rush out of the scene his minibus collided with Israeli-erected cement cubes, causing partial damages to the car, while the driver sustained no injuries.

Meanwhile last Monday night, settlers accompanied by a military escort stormed the village of al-Funduq, to the east of Qalqilia, provoking confrontations with Palestinian villagers.

Israeli soldiers then fired teargas canisters and stun grenades towards the protesters, causing multiple cases of suffocation by teargas inhalation. The suffocation cases included a 5-year-old child.

Later on Sunday morning, settlers raided the outer side of the village of Deir Nizam near Ramallah and attacked a home with stones, before dozens of youths rushed to the scene to confront the attacking settlers.

An army force then entered the village and provoked confrontations with Palestinian youths. There were reports of suffocation cases by teargas inhalation, as soldiers used teargas to disperse the angry youths.

Meanwhile in Hebron district, Jewish settlers protected by Israeli soldiers attacked with stones the house of Mahmoud Abu-Kabita, a Palestinian from the town of Beit Ummar.

The stone attack resulted in the injury of Abu-Kabita’s son, 13-year-old Osama, after being struck in the head by a stone. The stone attack also smashed the windows and the heating system in the house.

The latest escalation in violence by settlers came in the aftermath of the Israeli attempts to divide al-Aqsa Mosque, Islam’s third holiest place, between Muslims and Jews.

Tension has mounted across the West Bank districts and Jerusalem with Israel’s repeated assault on al-Aqsa Mosque Compound, particularly its growing attempts to temporally divide the site between Muslims and Jews.

The situation has also been significantly deteriorating since the deadly arson attack on the Dawabsheh’s family home on July 31, which was carried out by Jewish settlers.

In the past two weeks alone, about seven Palestinian youths were killed by the Israeli army during an ongoing unrest across the West Bank and Jerusalem.