Israel Demolishes Second Home in Jerusalem in Three Hours

JERUSALEM, November 2, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli authorities Monday demolished a Palestinian private-owned home in Beit Hanina, on the outskirts of Jerusalem, the second home to be demolished by Israel for lack of a construction permit in less than three hours, according to the home’s owner.

The owner, Mousa Dsouki, said staff from the Israeli municipality of West Jerusalem accompanied by heavy machinery and a security escort stormed the area late Monday, and demolished part of his home, which he recently built, without prior warning.

The authorities claimed Dsouki did not have a construction permit, a pretext that Israel frequently uses to legalize Palestinian construction in Jerusalem and in Area C of the West Bank, under Israeli administrative and military control.

Dsouki’s home is the second to be demolished by Israeli authorities in less than three hours. Earlier this morning, the Israeli municipality demolished a Palestinian-owned home sheltering a family of seven in the neighborhood of Jabal al-Mukabir in the city, under the same pretext.

In September 8, 2015, a United Nations report said, according to official data released by the Israeli authorities, more than 11,000 demolition orders were outstanding in the 60% in Area C of the West Bank.

These orders, which affect an estimated 13,000 Palestinian-owned structures, including homes, are among the over 14,000 demolition orders issued by the Israeli Civil Administration between 1988 and 2014, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“These orders heighten the vulnerability of thousands of poor Palestinian households, some of whom are at imminent risk of forcible displacement,” said the office.

Today nearly 300,000 Palestinians live in Area C, while nearly 360,000 Jewish settlers live in 135 settlements and 100 settlement “outposts”, which are cosidered illegal under international law.

 

 

wafa