HEBRON, November 1, 2015 (WAFA) – After Israeli authorities agreed to release the bodies of seven Palestinians who were killed by Israeli forces in Hebron during the mounting unrest witnessed across the Palestinian Territory and Israel, the bodies of only two Palestinians were handed over to the Palestinian side on Sunday.
According to health sources, the two bodies that were released belong to Ra’ed Jaradat, 22, and Mahmoud Ghnemat, 20, both shot dead by the Israeli army last week. As for the five other bodies which Israel has reneged on its promise to release them, Israel has reportedly set forth preconditions for their release, which their families have outright rejected.
On Saturday, Israel pledged to release the bodies of seven out of 12 Palestinians who were shot dead during separate incidents last week in Hebron, including those of Ghnemat, from the town of Surif, and Jaradat, from the nearby town of Sa’ir.
Meanwhile, thousands of Palestinians attended the funeral procession of Jaradat and Ghnemat in Hebron on Sunday.
Governor of Hebron, Kamel Hmed, who addressed the mourners, said the Palestinian leadership will not accept Israel’s preconditions on the release of the 10 remaining bodies.
Last week, thousands of Palestinians protested in the city and the surrounding villages in a “Rally of Rage”, demanding that Israel hands over the bodies of over 15 Palestinians who were killed while allegedly attempting to attack Israeli soldiers or settlers.
This came amid growing tension in the West Bank districts and Jerusalem, prompted by repeated Israeli assaults on al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem, including the unilateral enforcement of a temporal division at the holy site between Muslims and Jews.
The surge of unrest since early October has triggered fears of a third Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation by a new Palestinian generation, angry and desperate over stalled peace efforts.
According to the Middle East Eye, “the Knesset – earlier this month – ‘agreed to the proposal put forth by the Israeli internal security minister Gilad Erdan to not hand over the bodies of Palestinians who were allegedly involved in stabbing attacks to their families.’
“The terrorist’s family turns the funeral into a demonstration of support for terrorism and incitement to the murder,” said Erdan.