Israel to Release Hunger-Striking Detainee Allan in November

RAMALLAH, August 19, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli Prosecution Wednesday morning offered to release hunger-striking detainee Mohammad ‘Allan when the period of his current illegal detention without charge or trial, expires early November.


The Israeli military prosecution, according to Head of the Committee for Detainees and Ex-detainees Affairs Issa Qaraqe, offered to release Allan on November 3 when his six-month arbitrary sentence under administrative detention expires, provided that Allan ends his hunger strike.


Jamil al-Khatib, Allan’s attorney, said Israel pledged not to detain Allan under administrative detention again. Al-Khatib was also reported as saying that Allan has not yet responded to the Israeli military prosecution’s offer yet.


Allan, who has been detained by Israel without charge or trial since November, began hunger striking in protest on 18 June, taking only water. He fell into a coma last Thursday night.

Doctors have since been intravenously giving him water, vitamins and salts and he was connected to a respirator to assist him in breathing.

PPC said after regaining consciousness, Allan “has agreed, after detailed explanations about his condition situation, to take some supplements for 24 hours while he waits for a resolution to his case.”


The Israeli Supreme court is scheduled Wednesday to continue hearing a petition by Allan’s lawyers calling for his release on medical grounds. At a hearing on Monday, one of the doctors treating Allan said if he were to resume his hunger strike, his health is going to radically deteriorate.

Allan’s legal team had dismissed an Israeli offer to release Allan on the condition of expelling him for four years abroad.

The Israeli daily Haaretz reported  it was informed by one of Allan’s lawyers that the he had previously “expressed willingness to stop the hunger strike if the state would agree to release him for Eid al-Adha, the Muslim feast of the sacrifice, that falls toward the end of September – two months before the end of his administrative detention order.”


Israeli doctors at Barzilai Medical Center (BMC) illegally put Allan under anesthesia after he slipped into the come. The critical health condition of Allan prompted Palestinians to march in protest of his ongoing administrative detention.


Palestinians in several Israeli Arab towns, including Kufr Qasem, Umm al-Fahm, Kufr Kanna, Rahat and the Haifa neighborhood of Wadi al-Nisnas, took to the streets demanding the immediate release of Allan.

Palestinians in the East Jerusalem towns and neighborhoods on al-‘Eizariya, al-‘Issawiya, Jabal Az-Zeitoun, Ash-Sheikh Jarrah and the Old City also marched in solidarity with Allan to denounce his ongoing administrative detention.

Israeli police fired rubber-coated steel bullets, tear gas canisters and stun grenades at protestors in an attempt to quell these marchers, triggering clashes with them. Violent clashes were reported specifically in al-‘Issawiya, cordoned off by police, where two Palestinian locals were detained.

Similar clashes erupted overnight in the East Jerusalem’s neighborhood of Jabal Az-Zeitoun and the Old City neighborhoods, where two other Palestinians were detained.