TEL AVIV, February 23, 2015 (WAFA) – An Israeli military analyst has warned of an imminent “outburst” of the situation in Gaza, due to a long awaited reconstruction process of the war-weary coastal enclave.
In an op-ed published in the Israeli newspaper Maariv HaShavua, military analyst Alon Ben-David said so long as Israel’s blockade of Gaza continues, an outbreak against Israel, rather than Egypt, would be inevitable on the long run.
“As time passes, the humanitarian disaster deepens even worse. More than 25,000 families are currently displaced, and Hamas will find it useless to continue to act with restraint,” said Ben-David. He added that it was Israel, rather than Egypt, which would be severely affected by a potential outbreak of Gaza.
Meanwhile, Minister of Public Works Mufeed al-Hasayneh said only $200 million, out of about $5.4 billion, has been received by the ministry for the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip.
Donor countries pledged $5.4 billion during the Gaza Reconstruction Conference, held in Cairo last October. Half of pledged funds would be earmarked for rebuilding the war-battered coastal enclave following in the wake of the devastating 50-day Israeli onslaught.
Currently, more than 250,000 Palestinians are living in makeshift shelters, while some of them are still sheltering in UNRWA-run schools.
More than 10,000 housing structures were destroyed during the 2014 Israeli summer aggression on Gaza, which was the worst in a series of three consecutive wars.
Last month, UNRWA declared it was forced to suspend its cash assistance program in Gaza to tens of thousands of people for repairs to damaged and destroyed homes and for rental subsidies to the homeless, Tuesday said an UNRWA press release.
It said that while $720 million is required for rental subsidies and repairs to over 96,000 Palestinian refugee families, it has so far received only $135 million in pledges, leaving a shortfall of $585 million.