Israeli Police Kills Youth near Jerusalem for Alleged Stabbing

JERUSALEM, October 22, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli security forces Thursday shot dead a youth and seriously injured another one for allegedly stabbing an Israeli settler in the settlement town of Beit Shemesh, west of Jerusalem, according to police sources.

Israeli police said the two men attempted to mount the rooftop of an Israeli bus in Beit Shemesh, but they were unable to do so, before they allegedly stabbed an Israeli youth outside the bus. Police then opened fire at them, but their condition is still unknown.

The youth who was killed was identified as Meqdad al-Haj, 20, from the town of Surif near Hebron. The other youth was identified as Khaled Ghnemat, 20, also from Surif. Ghnemat was transferred to Hadasah Medical Center in Jerusalem or medical treatment.

Earlier last night, 24-year-old Mohammad Fahim Shalaldeh, a Palestinian from the town of Sa’ir near Hebron, was fatally shot by Israeli soldiers for allegedly running over Israeli soldiers at the entrance of the nearby town of Beit Ummar.

At least three Palestinians were Wednesday shot and killed by Israeli army and police across the West Bank, mainly in Hebron, bringing the number of Palestinians killed in shootings by Israeli forces since October 1 to more than 56.

There has been a mounting tension across the West Bank and Jerusalem with Israel’s repeated assault of al-Aqsa Mosque Compound, particularly its enforcement of a temporal division on the compound between Muslims and Jews.

The situation has also been significantly deteriorating since settlers’ deadly arson attack on the Dawabsheh’s family home. The attack claimed the lives of a couple and their toddler, Ali. Four-year-old Ahmad, who is currently receiving treatment at Israeli hospitals, is the last surviving member of the family.

According to Human Rights Watch, the Israeli military has a poor record of bringing soldiers to justice for such acts. Since September 2000, the Israeli military has only convicted six soldiers for unlawful killing of Palestinians; the most severe sentence imposed was seven-and-a-half months in prison, according to the Israeli rights group Yesh Din.

During that time, Israeli forces killed more than 3,100 Palestinian civilians who were not engaged in hostilities, while other Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces during so-called “law enforcement activities” in the West Bank, according to reports by B’Tselem, another Israeli rights group.