GAZA, June 4, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli warplanes Thursday targeted multiple locations across the besieged Gaza Strip with at least five rockets, after reports of two rockets which fell in nearby settlements, said WAFA correspondent in Gaza.
Israeli F-16 warplanes shelled a location near al-Maqwasi towers northwest of the city with at least two missiles, severely damaging the site and proprieties of civilians living nearby.
Another series of attacks targeted a location to the southwest of the city, causing more damage to civilians’ possessions. No injuries were reported however.
Another site northwest of Khan Younes city was hit with two missiles. Israeli warplanes continued to hover over the Gaza Strip on low altitude, under the pretext that rockets were fired from the strip and fell in adjacent settlements.
The Turkish Anadolu Agency reported on Israeli ‘Defense’ Minister Moshe Ya’alon saying that Israel holds Hamas responsible for the situation in the Gaza Strip, even if other groups were behind the fired rockets.
He said, “We advise no one to test the patience of Israel against terrorism… If the need arises, the Israeli army will respond to any attacks with a larger force.”
According to Israeli media reports, Israeli security sources predicted that small Salafi groups are behind the rockets in revenge of Hamas.”
Israeli warplanes conducted a series of attacks against the Gaza Strip in response to two rockets, which were allegedly fired at adjacent settlements. No injuries were reported in Gaza or Israel.
The situation in Gaza continues to be a critical humanitarian crisis. Palestinian refugees in the Gaza strip continue to live a nine-year-old siege from both land and sea.
The United Nations’ Coordinator of Humanitarian Affairs in the Palestinian Territories, James Rowley earlier this year called for lifting the siege imposed by Israel on the people of Gaza.
Rowley said in a press conference which was held in al-Shifa hospital in Gaza city that the siege has greatly affected health and humanitarian Services and emphasized that the blockade should be lifted to end the suffering of Gaza’s patients.
Whole neighborhoods across the strip have been reduced to rubble by the extensive Israeli airstrikes, leaving about 475,000 Palestinians refugees displaced for yet another time.
Israel and the Palestinian factions inked a ceasefire deal on August 26, ending the 2014 deadly Israeli onslaught on Gaza that claimed the lives of over 2,200 people, overwhelmingly civilians.
The ceasefire deal stipulated that Israel must ease the blockade imposed on the strip and the restrictions on the unilaterally-imposed fishing zone off Gaza’s coast.
The Egyptian authorities continue to close the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt almost entirely and are only opening it for extreme humanitarian cases.
According to UN institutions’ statistics, around 15,000 Gaza refugees are still living in UN-run schools almost a year after the end of the latest war, as they have no other choice after losing their homes.
Even without rockets being fired from Gaza, Israel has failed to adhere to its agreement, repeatedly violating the ceasefire deal through opening fire on Palestinian fishermen within the fishing zone and farmers who tend to their land close to Gaza’s borders.
Israel has imposed a tightened blockade since 2007 after Hamas won the democratic legislative elections and took over power in the strip.