HEBRON, November 29, 2015 (WAFA) – The Palestinian Ministry of Information, in a statement Sunday, described Israel’s recent closure of three local radio stations in Hebron and its threat to close another one in Jenin a war on Palestinian radio broadcasting.
The ministry said that it will file a complaint to the United Nations Security Council in order to protect Palestinian journalists and media organizations and to hold Israel accountable for what it described as Israel’s continuous terrorism against Palestinian media outlets.
This came after the Israeli army shut down local Dream Radio station in Hebron, under the pretext of broadcasting “incitements against Israel”.
Talab al-Jabari, the radio’s director, said dozens of Israeli soldiers stormed and wreaked havoc into the headquarters of the radio, located in downtown Hebron, after blowing up its gates.
Army officers informed journalists who were at the site about a military order to shut down the radio for a period of six months.
Army also confiscated the radio’s transmitters, in addition to other equipment used for daily broadcasting.
Earlier this month, the army shut down al-Khalil and Al-Hurriya radio stations in Hebron, under the same pretext.
Meanwhile, the Palestinian Center for Development and Media Freedoms (MADA) called on the international community to pressure Israel to reverse its decisions to shut down the three aforementioned radio stations and compensate them for losses and damaged equipment.
It further urged the international community to compel Israel to respect the freedom of opinion; guaranteed by international laws and conventions.
MADA, in a story published on November 22, said that “Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) escalated their assaults and attacks against journalist and media outlets across West Bank and Gaza Strip, during October 2015.”
“IOF recorded a new peak in a series of systematic attacks against journalists and media freedoms in Palestine, Which clearly exposed its main purpose of targeting press.”