Local EU Missions Concerned About Wave of Israeli Demolitions

JERUSALEM, April 27, 2013 (WAFA) – The European Union missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah Friday expressed concern about recent Israeli demolition of homes and structures in Jerusalem and the West Bank, according to an EU statement.

It said the EU missions “are seriously concerned about the demolitions on 23 and 24 April of 22 structures in 8 locations across the West Bank including East Jerusalem, displacing 28 people, including 18 children, and affecting 120 others, including 57 children.”

Some of these structures were funded by EU member states, said the statement.

“These and other recent demolitions appear to put an end to a period in which a welcome reduction in demolitions had been noted,” said the EU missions. “Since the year 2008 more than 2400 Palestinian houses and structures have been demolished in Area C and East Jerusalem, displacing more than 4400 people.”

The missions’ statement recalled the May 14 Council Conclusions, in which the EU called upon Israel to meet its obligations regarding the living conditions of the Palestinian population in Area C of the West Bank, which is under full Israeli military control, including by halting forced transfer of population and demolition of Palestinian housing and infrastructure.

The Israeli army had declared a large area of the scarcely populated Jordan Valley, which is all consider part of Area C, a military firing zone forcing many of its Palestinian dwellers to leave their homes whenever the army carries out military exercises in that area.

Residents say the procedure is intended to eventually force them out of the Jordan Valley, which Israel intends to keep under its control in any future political arrangement.

Source: WAFA News