Mounting Unrest as Israel Cracks Down on West Bank Protests

WEST BANK, October 5, 2015 (WAFA) – Clashes renewed between Israeli forces and Palestinians across the West Bank and Jerusalem, for almost the fourth day of violent clashes and apparently soaring turbulence.


The most violent clashes erupted in Jerusalem last night and early morning Monday, during which Israeli police used live ammunition, teargas, toxic gas and stun grenades against the protesting youths.


A number of Palestinians suffocated after inhaling teargas fired at them by Israeli police forces, while others were injured with rubber bullets, including few serious injuries with live ammunition.


The Palestinian Red Crescent (PRC) said a man who was seriously injured in the head was detained by the police while bleeding, but he was transferred to Hadassah medical center for medical treatment.


It added the Israeli police targeted a PRC ambulance near Shuafat refugee camp, on Jerusalem’s outskirts, with gunfire, smashing its windshields and causing financial damage. There were no reports of human casualties on the attack against the ambulance.


Four other Palestinians also sustained injuries by rubber-coated ammunition during clashes in Jabal al-Zaytoun and Wadi al-Jouz neighborhood districts in Jerusalem.

Other clashes also took place in the towns of al-Ezariya, Abu Dis, er-Ram, al-Issawiya and the Old City of Jerusalem.


Meanwhile in Hebron, a Palestinian was injured when a teargas canister shot by the Israeli army hit his face, during confrontations in the town of Dura.


Clashes also erupted in the town of Yatta and in multiple locations in Hebron city, during which the army used teargas canisters and stun grenades to disperse angry Palestinian youths.


The army also closed a bridge near the town of Halhoul, north of Hebron, and asked Palestinian vehicles to use another road.


The army also detained a Palestinian man, Ibrahim Nemer, for hours and eye-folded him. An Israeli special force then took his car and used it for almost two hours before handing it over to him and releasing him.


Other clashes also took place in al-Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron. There were also reports of suffocation by teargas inhalation, as army fired teargas canisters and stun grenades towards the protesters.


Clashes also erupted at Beit El checkpoint near Ramallah, after the Israeli army cracked down on a peaceful rally organized by Palestinian students in protest of the Israeli security and political escalation in the west Bank.


There were also reports of clashes in other sites across the West Bank.


Tension has mounted across the West Bank districts and Jerusalem with Israel’s repeated assault of al-Aqsa Mosque Compound, particularly its growing attempts to temporally divide the site between Muslims and Jews.


The situation has also been significantly deteriorating since the deadly arson attack on the Dawabsheh’s family home on July 31, which was carried out by Jewish settlers.


In the past two weeks alone, five Palestinian youths were killed by the Israeli army, namely 21-year-old Hadeel Hashlamon from Hebron, 21-year-old Diya’ Talahmeh from Hebron, 19-year-old Fadi Aloun from Jerusalem, 19-year-old Muhanad Halabi from Ramallah and 18-year-old Huthayfa Salman from Tulkarm.