RAMALLAH, July 29, 2015 (WAFA) – The demolition of Palestinian-owned residential and commercial structures by Israeli authorities in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan coupled with clashes that erupted between Israeli settlers and police in the illegal Israeli settlement of Beit El, north of Ramallah, Wednesday dominated the three Palestinian Arabic dailies.
Covering the demolition in its main front page news article, al-Hayat al-Jadida reported that Israeli occupation forces carried out extensive demolitions in Silwan, while extremist settlers forced their way into Al-Aqsa Mosque compound once again.
Al-Quds reported that two rooms, two warehouses and a store were demolished by the Israeli ‘Municipality of Jerusalem’ in Silwan.
On the other hand, al-Quds opted to highlight Israel’s plan to confiscate large tracts of land belonging to a Nablus village. It reported on Mayor of ‘Aqraba, a town to the southeast of Nablus, confirming that Israeli forces delivered a confiscation notice of 15 dunums, citing ‘military purposes’ as the main pretext.
However, the mayor said that a map that was attached to the order clearly shows that the land intended for confiscation is over 15 thousand dunums of land.
It further reported that the Israeli ‘Civil Administration’ alleged that it would confiscate only 15 dunums. Al-Hayat al-Jadida covered the same issue, stating that Israel is planning to take over 15-dunums of land.
On the other hand, al-Ayyam opted to give prominence to the clashes that erupted between Israeli settlers and police in the Israeli settlement of Beit El to the north of Ramallah, after an Israeli court ruled that some illegal structures must be demolished.
It reported that settlers have prevented Israeli occupation army from demolishing two buildings in Beit El settlement. It said that those settlers receive support from both Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the so-called Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon.
Al-Quds reported in this regard that following the dismantling of a settlement outpost by Israeli army in Beit El settlement, settlers attacked Palestinian-registered vehicles travelling along Nablus –Ramallah Road, pelting them with stones.
Both al-Quds and al-Hayat al-Jadida reported on Israeli Deputy ‘Defense’ Minister (Rabbi) Eli Ben-Dahan who alled for settlers to return to settlement outposts that were previously evicted in northern West Bank.
It is worth mentioning in this respect that despite the Israeli court’s ruling to demolish the buildings, there has been legal maneuvering seeking to prevent demolition and legalize them.
Covering other Israeli forces and settlers’ attacks against Palestinians and their property across the West Bank and Gaza, al-Quds reported that Israeli settlers assaulted a Palestinian bus driver and an elderly in the Eastern part of Jerusalem.
Al-Ayyam reported that seven Palestinians from Jerusalem were detained by Israeli occupation forces purportedly for attacking settlers. Furthermore, the three dailies reported that Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard is expected to be released on November 21.
With regards to the financial crisis gripping UNRWA, al-Ayyam and al-Hayat al-Jadida reported the UN agency as stating that they have not reached any decision on postponing opening the upcoming academic year.
They reported on the British Foreign Office as calling on Israel to halt its plan to advance 1,065 settler units in eight different settlements across the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
Al-Ayyam reported that Donald Blome, the newly appointed American Consul General to Jerusalem, has officially assumed his duties.
Internationally, Netanyahu was quoted in al-Ayyam as claiming that Iran is a “formidable danger” to Europe.