Newspaper Review: Killing of Palestinian in Hebron Village Focus of Dailies

RAMALLAH, November 2, 2015 (WAFA) – The fatal shooting of a Palestinian youngster by Israeli forces in Beit ‘Anoun, east of Hebron, following an alleged stabbing attempt hit front page headlines in the three Palestinian Arabic dailies.

The three dailies reported that a Palestinian young man from the Hebron town of Sa‘ir was shot dead by Israeli forces. Both al-Ayyam and al-Hayat al-Jadida described the killing as an “execution”.

Al-Quds and al-Hayat al-Jadida reported that Israeli forces shot and injured dozens of Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza.

Furthermore, the three dailies reported that thousands of Palestinians attended the funeral procession of Ra’ed Jaradat, 22, and Mahmoud Ghneimat, 20, in the Hebron towns of Sa‘ir and Suriff after their the Israeli authorities returned the bodies to the Palestinian liaison department.

It is worth recalling in this regard that both Jaradat and Ghneimat were both shot dead by Israeli forces during October, following alleged stabbing attempts.

Furthermore, al-Quds and al-Ayyam reported that three Israeli soldiers were injured after being run over by a Palestinian car outside Beit ‘Anoun, east of Hebron.

Al-Quds said the soldiers were hit accidentally, while al-Ayyam confirmed that the Palestinian suspected of hitting the soldiers had turned himself to the authorities.

The three dailies also reported that Israeli forces returned the bodies of two Palestinians, Omar al-Faqeh and Muhammad Shamasneh, both 23 years old, to their families in Qatanna town, to the northwest of Jerusalem.

Israeli forces shot dead al-Faqeh at Qalandiya checkpoint on October 17 following an alleged stabbing attack, while Shamasneh was killed on October 13 following an alleged stabbing attack on an Israeli bus in northwest Jerusalem.

Al-Ayyam reported that groups of settlers forced their way into the al-Aqsa Mosque compound and that a total of 50 encroachments into the holy site were recorded during October.

Al-Quds reported on Director of Al-Aqsa Mosque Sheikh Omar Kiswani as stating that the Religious Endowments (Waqf) Department has halted the installation of surveillance cameras in the Mosque compound.

Both al-Quds and al-Ayyam highlighted an Israeli military investigation that revealed that Hadeel al-Hashalmoun, who was shot dead by Israeli forces at the container military checkpoint in central Hebron in late September, could have been detained instead of shot dead.