RAMALLAH, August 22, 2015 (WAFA) – The PLO Executive Committee denounced in its meeting held in Ramallah on Saturday the latest Israeli decision to annex Cremisan valley in Bethlehem to resume the construction of the separation wall.
The PLO executive committee considered this Israeli decision a continuation of Israel’s dictation policy and imposing new facts on the ground; through its settlement expansion, continued construction of the wall, demolition of homes, seizure of land, the displacement of Palestinians, and the implementation of the policy of ethnic cleansing, particularly in the occupied city of Jerusalem.
According to the Guardian, “Israel has resumed construction of a section of its controversial separation wall in the Cremisan valley near Bethlehem, despite a court appearing to rule against further work on the barrier in April.”
It said that, “The wall will separate the West Bank city of Beit Jala from the settlement of Har Gilo and the village of Walaja. Critics claim its real purpose is not to increase security but to allow settlement expansion.”
It noted that earth movers have started uprooting olive trees to break the ground for the wall, adding that, “The planned route runs through the Cremisan valley on land owned by 58 Christian Palestinian families, close to a monastery and its sister convent and school.”
“The wall has been opposed by local Christian leaders and the Vatican. In April it appeared that its construction had been blocked when Israel’s high court ordered the defense ministry to reconsider the route. But a subsequent ruling in July gave it the green light,” it said.