RAMALLAH, August 1, 2015 (WAFA) – PLO Executive Committee Member Saeb Erakat, stressed that settlers’ Friday arson attack in Nablus, which claimed the life of a toddler and critically injured his entire family ‘is a direct consequence of decades of impunity given by the Israeli government to settler terrorism.’
Erekat held the Israeli Government fully responsible for the brutal assassination of the toddler Ali Saad Dawabsha and the injury of his mother, father and brother, who sustained third degree burns.
Since 2004, over 11,000 settler attacks have taken place against Palestinian homes, cars, churches, mosques, trees and others with full impunity, said a statement issued by Erekat.
“We cannot separate the barbaric attack that took place in Duma last night from the recent settlement approvals by the Israeli government, a government which represents an Israeli national coalition for settlements and Apartheid,” he said.
He stressed that, “By continuing to approve settlements and incite against Palestinian presence, including calls to recognize Israel as a Jewish State, the Israeli government has paved the road for this brutal act.”
“This is the consequence of a culture of hate funded and incentivized by the Israeli government and the impunity granted by the international community.”
Erekat noted that over a year ago President Abbas requested international protection for Palestinians, a call, which he said, has been ignored so far.
“Today we can see the consequences. We call upon the international community to end its policy of empty statements and to finally do something to protect Palestinians,” added Erekat.
He said that exercising the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, including their protection and ending the occupation, is an international responsibility.