UNRWA to Announce Clear, Decisive Position on Reconstruction Efforts

GAZA, January 26, 2015 (WAFA) – UNRWA announced that it will reveal a “clear and decisive” position regarding the Gaza Strip reconstructing process within the next 24 hours, according to UNRWA Media Advisor in Gaza Adnan Abu Hasna.

Abu Hasna told The Anadolu Agency that a meeting between UNRWA officials and representatives of donor countries will take place in the city of Jerusalem to discuss issues related to the reconstruction of Gaza.

He added that UNRWA will convey a clear and decisive position regarding the reconstruction process after the meeting, without giving more details

UNRWA’s Director of Operations in the Gaza Strip Robert Turner had previously said that the budget of UNRWA required to reconstruct what has been damaged during the Israeli war on Gaza will fall short by January 2015.

Turner explained that what UNRWA needs to help those affected by the war amounts to $724 million and what the agency has received or was expected to receive is around $100 million only.

He said the delay in transferring the necessary funds to UNRWA will render it incapable of helping thousands of families in paying the rent after losing their homes during the war.

UNRWA mentioned in a press release mid December 2014 that the final count of partially or fully damaged homes in the Gaza Strip is estimated at 96,000 homes. UNRWA described such figures as shocking and surprising.

Israel waged its war on the Gaza Strip on August 7 of 2014, which lasted for 51 days. During the time, over 2,200 Palestinians were killed, mostly unarmed civilians, while another 11,000 were injured, according to the Ministry of Health.

Arab and world countries pledged to offer $5.4 billion; half of it to reconstruct the Gaza Strip and the other to meet the needs of Palestinians and the Palestinian Authority’s budget.

 

WAFA