Young Woman Injured in Settlers’ Attempted Kidnapping

JERUSALEM, December 27, 2015 (WAFA) – A 23-year-old young Palestinian woman was injured after an attempted kidnapping carried out on Monday evening by Israeli settlers near Shuafat, one of the outskirts of Jerusalem, according to local sources.


The young woman’s husband, Samer al-Sayori, said that settlers chased and intercepted the way of Enas al-Sayori, who reportedly lost her way and was driving near the illegal Israeli settlement neighborhood of Romot, just northwest of Jerusalem. Settlers pelted Enas’s car with stones, before forcing her out of the car and snatching her phone.


The husband said that one of the settlers attempted to strangle her, as another held her firmly by her coat, before she managed to wrench herself away. The young woman sustained injuries and bruises on her neck and is currently receiving treatment at the Israeli Hadasah medical center.

Settlers further damaged the young woman’s car.


Violence by illegal Jewish settlers in the West Bank is commonplace. They have repeatedly attacked Palestinian property and worship places. Settler violence includes property and mosque arsons, stone-throwing, uprooting of crops and olive trees, attacks on vulnerable homes, among others.


According to the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem, “Israeli security forces do not always deploy in advance to protect Palestinians from settler violence, even when such violence could be anticipated. “In some cases, rather than restricting violent settlers, Israeli security forces impose restrictions on the Palestinians.”


In mid 2014, three Israeli extremist settlers kidnapped and burnt to death 17-year-old Mohammed Abu Khudair. On November 30th, the Jerusalem District court suspended the conviction of the main suspect in the murder of Palestinian teenager Mohammad Abu Khdeir, while convicting the other two Israeli minors who partook in his murder.


The court suspended the conviction of Yosef Haim Ben-David, due to a last-minute psychiatric evaluation which claimed he was not responsible for his actions at the time of the murder.


On July 31, a group of Jewish fanatics attacked with fire bombs the home of Dawabsheh family in Nablus’ village of Duma. The attack left 4-year-old Ahmad orphaned, after his toddler brother, Ali, father, Sa’ed and mother, Reham, lost their lives.