NABLUS, February 18, 2016 (WAFA) – The family of hunger-striking detainee Muhammad al-Qiq Thursday said they wouldn’t object to transferring al-Qiq to a hospital in Jerusalem, as long it is a Palestinian hospital because they do not trust Israeli hospitals.
Speaking during a press conference in Nablus, al-Qiq’s wife, Fayha Shalash said al-Qiq’s family won’t object to the notion of transferring al-Qiq, who has been on a hunger strike for 85 days in protest of his detention, to al-Makasid Hospital in Jerusalem for treatment.
This announcement came after the family insisted al-Qiq will not agree to any offer that doesn’t guarantee transferring him to a hospital in Ramallah in order to be close to his family.
Shalash said her husband continues to suffer from spasms of acute chest pain twice or more a day adding that doctors have warned that he could die of a heart attack as a result of his ongoing hunger strike.
She confirmed that al-Qiq is currently undergoing medical examinations in Israeli hospitals.
Meanwhile, Hanan Khatib, an attorney representing the Detainees and Ex-Detainees Commission, who visited al-Qiq in Afula hospital, said al-Qiq developed serious and disturbing symptoms signaling a possible fatal heart attack.
She noted that al-Qiq continued to suffer from crushing pain in the chest and left hand, spasms in his legs and speaking difficulty.
According to Samer Samaro, Chairman of the Detainees and Ex-Detainees Committee in Nablus, a total of 650 Palestinians and 16 journalists are held in Israeli administrative detention.
Since June 1967, 55,000 Palestinians had been placed under administrative detention, including 25,000 Palestinians during the second intifada.