Israeli Forces Kill Palestinian, Bombard House in Hebron Town Raid

HEBRON, July 27, 2016 (WAFA) – Israeli army forces Wednesday killed a Palestinian man after bombarding and razing a house he was fortified in during a raid into Surif town, northwest of Hebron, said a municipal source and WAFA correspondent.

Escorting a military bulldozer, Israeli forces raided Surif after cordoning it off and surrounding a house in which Muhammad al-Faqih, 26, was fortified, ordering him to surrender.

Forces reportedly exchanged fire with al-Faqih and bombarded the house before a military bulldozer demolished it, reducing it to rubble.

Al-Faqih was killed inside the house in the Surif area of Wadi Jaddour.

The raid sparked intense clashes with local Palestinian youths who protested the raid and attempted to block Israeli soldiers’ course.

They fired live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets and tear gas canisters, hitting and injuring five Palestinians and causing many others to suffocate.

Arrab Foqaha, the Palestinian Red Crescent Spokesperson said Israeli soldiers prevented two Red Crescent ambulance crews from entering Surif town.

Mayor of Surif, Muhammad Lafi, said the raid lasted for six hours, during which a sporadic exchange of fire took place, and the body of al-Faqih was pulled out of the rubble and taken by a military vehicle.

He confirmed that five Palestinians were detained during the overnight fatal raid. The detainees were identified as Muhammad al-Heeh, the owner of the demolished house, al-Heeh’s wife, Diyaa Ghneimat, 25, and Muhammad Hmeidat, 17. Local media identified the fifth detainee as Ahmad al-Hur.

Later on Wednesday, a general strike was announced in al-Faqih’s hometown of Durra with all stores and institutions closing its doors in mourning of al-Faqih.

Al-Faqih was accused of being responsible for an attack that killed an Israeli settler in a drive-by shooting in the southern West Bank district of Hebron on July 1, 2016.

Rabbi Michael Mark was killed and his wife and two children were injured as a result of the attack near the illegal Otniel settlement, south of Hebron.