RAMALLAH, July 17, 2014 (WAFA) – The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate (PJS) denounced strongly the Israeli occupation forces practices and violations against the Palestinian journalists and media outlets, Thursday said a press release by PJS.
The Palestinian Journalists’ Syndicate strongly condemned the ongoing crimes perpetrated by the Israeli occupation forces against our people in Gaza, which have so far resulted in more than 200 dead citizens and injured more than 1500 citizens, most of them are civilians, including women and children, in addition to the destruction of dozens of homes and public institutions and government buildings.
We call on the International Journalists Union, and the Arab Journalists Union to condemn these attacks, which are considered a serious violation of all international conventions, and to exert pressure on the Israeli government to stop such crimes.
The ongoing war on Gaza has witnessed escalation in violations committed by the Israeli occupation forces against the Palestinian journalists and various media outlets, said the statement.
Several incidents show that the Israeli occupation forces have deliberately targeted the journalists regardless of their nationalities, or even when wearing clear Press Badges distinguishing them as journalists.
Such acts by the Israeli occupation forces is considered a clear and systematic violation to the rules of the International Humanitarian law and Human Rights standards, which state ‘everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression”, the right to receive and transfer to others through any media, regardless of frontiers, and the right to access information.
PJS said that the total number of the Israeli violations against journalists during the current aggression on Gaza is 13, including one journalist killed, five injured and the bombing of one car, two houses and four media headquarters; following illustrates in details the Israeli occupation forces violation of the freedom of the press during the aggression on Gaza:
– 8/7/2014: journalist Yaequp abu Ghalwa was injured during the Israeli bombardment of the House of Al Kawar’e family in Khan Younis City.
– 9/7/2014: Journalist Hamdy Shehab, working for Media 24, was killed when his car was bombed by Israeli jet fighters in the heart of Gaza city.
– 9/7/2014: Journalist Mahmoud Al-loh was wound in his foot by Israeli rocket fragments.
– The house of journalist Buthayna Ishtawi was completely destroyed by Israeli jet fighters.
– Partial destruction of the Media Office belongs to the Palestine liberation Front Member of PLO), in the Gaza City.