Newspaper Review: Demolition of Palestinian House in Hebron Town Focus of Dailies

RAMALAH, August 16, 2016 (WAFA) – The demolition of a house of a Palestinian killed in June following a deadly attack in the Hebron town of Bani Naim hit the front page headlines in Palestinian daily newspapers.

The three dailies said Israeli forces demolished the family house of Muhammad Tarayra in Bani Naim town. Al-Ayyam added Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters and stun grenades during clashes, causing a number of Palestinians to suffocate.

New Israeli plans to grab Palestinian land and build settlements in the southern West Bank district of Hebron also hit the front page headlines in the dailies.

The three dailies said Israel advanced a plan to consolidate settlement construction in southern Hebron.

Al-Quds added that Israel approved the construction of 56 new settler units in the Jerusalem settlement of Ramot. Al-Ayyam highlighted Israeli procedures to consolidate settlement construction in Jerusalem’s Mount of Olives.

Furthermore, the three dailies highlighted the statements of King Abdullah II of Jordan on recent Israeli violations and intrusions into Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.

Al-Quds reported Abdullah II pledging to continue to defend the mosque compound and stating that he has legal and political options that he could resort to in order to confront Israeli violations.

He was also reported in al-Ayyam and al-Hayat al-Jadida as stating his country would defend the mosque compound against Israeli attempts of dividing it.

Highlighting other Israeli forces raids across the West Bank, al-Quds said Israeli troops tore copies of the Koran during a raid into the Bethlehem town of Tuqu’.

Al-Hayat al-Jadida said Israeli forces detained 18 Palestinians during West Bank overnight raids and Israeli navy detained five Palestinian fishermen offshore Gaza.

Al-Quds and al-Ayyam said Wlid Masalma, who has started an open-ended hunger strike in protest of his administrative detention without charge or trial, was evacuated to the Israeli hospital of Suruka following his health deterioration.

Al-Ayyam and al-Hayat al-Jadida said scores of Palestinians rallied in solidarity with Bilal Kayid, who entered the 64st day of his hunger strike, outside Barzilai hospital in Ashkelon (Askalan).

Al-Quds and al-Ayyam said Israel would not take any legal proceedings against two soldiers who had been filmed by Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem assaulting a Palestinian girl and taking her bicycle away for daring to play on a street reserved for settlers in Hebron.

 

wafa