PARIS, August 6, 2014 (WAFA) – “As Israel announces the withdrawal of its troops from the Gaza Strip, Reporters Without Borders (RWB) reports that 12 Palestinian journalists and one media worker have been killed since the start of Operation Protective Edge on 8 July,” said the international organization.
In a statement on Tuesday, RWB said seven of these journalists were killed “in connection with their work. This is the highest toll since Israel withdrew in 2005.”
“More than 1,800 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and 67 Israelis, including three civilians, have so far been killed in this operation, to which a political solution seems more distant by the day,” said the RWB.
“Whether these journalists and media workers were killed in indiscriminate air raids or were deliberately targeted, their deaths should be independently investigated and those responsible should be identified,” said RWB assistant research director Virginie Dangles.
“Journalists should not be targeted by belligerents, who must respect the Geneva Conventions and their additional protocols, as well as UN Security Council Resolution 1738, adopted in 2006.”
RWB said the latest media victim was Hamada Khaled Makat, head of the Saja News Agency, who was killed by an Israeli air strike in northern Gaza City. “The Palestinian Journalists’ Union told Reporters Without Borders that Makat was killed outside his home at dawn after going out to cover the air strikes.”
Two Palestinian journalists died on August 2nd as a result of Israeli air strikes, said RWB.
“One was Mohamed Noureddin Al-Dairi, 26, a photographer with the Palestinian Network for Journalism and Media, who died from the injuries he received while covering an air raid on Shuja’iya market on 30 July. He was not pulled from the rubble until two days after the raid. The overall death toll from the raid on the Shuja’iya neighborhood was 17 civilians, including three journalists.”
“The other media fatality on 2 August was freelance journalist Shadi Hamdi Ayad, 24, who was killed in his home by an Israeli air strike on Al-Zaytoun, a neighborhood in southeastern Gaza City. His father was also killed.”
“Abdullah Nasr Fahjan, 21, a sports journalist with Hamas-run Al-Aqsa TV, was killed on 1 August during an Israeli bombardment of the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.”