State of Palestine
Palestine Liberation Organization
Negotiation Affairs Department
5 August 2014
GAZA UNDER FIRE
Israel’s Criminal Assault on the Occupied State of Palestine
· Statistics of the 29 day of the Israeli aggression against the Gaza Strip (July 8th – August 05th).
Following the announcement of 72-hours humanitarian ceasefire agreed by Palestinian delegation and Israel, Gaza City sprang back to life with people flocking to the streets to buy their necessary supplies as well as checking on the destruction and damages provoked by the Israeli bombardments. Dramatic scenes were seen as medical teams and relatives were searching for deceased relatives.
Since July 8 Israeli Forces have killed over 1868 people (including at least 429 children, 243 women and 79 elderly) and injured over 9567 people (including at least 2877 children, 1853 women and 374 elderly). Israel has deliberately targeted civilians.
Over 485.000 people have been forcibly displaced, taking refuge in UNRWA schools, mosques, churches and hospitals, all areas that have been attacked by Israeli Forces.
Israel’s heinous crimes against civilians in Gaza is a testimony to some members of the international community who continue condone Israeli war crimes.
The international community must hold Israel responsible for its crimes.
Statistics of 29 Days of Israeli Aggression against the Gaza Strip July 8th 00:00 AM – August 5th 12:00 PM
· Palestinians killed – 1,868
· Palestinians Injured – 9,567
· Demolished Structures: 5,510
· Partially Demolished Structures: 4,674
· Damaged Homes: 30,920
· Schools Damaged –141
· Damaged Hospitals and Health Centers – 17 hospitals and 7 PHC clinics were damaged, 10 hospitals and 44 primary health clinics were closed, 22 ambulances were damaged, and 83 health personnel injured, 19 health personnel died after Israeli airstrikes.
· Attacks against Religious Sites – 46 mosques cannot be used and 140 have been partially damaged. Ten Muslim cemeteries have been targeted. Two Churches and one Christian cemetery have been Partially Damaged.
Over 485,000 people have been displaced (almost one third of the Gaza population) –1,700,000 people (the entire population of the Gaza Strip) have been affected by the destruction of electricity, water and waste water infrastructures.
Israeli disregard to the lives of Palestinians have resulted in the killing of hundreds. Instead of learning from previous experiences, some countries gave green light to Israeli forces to bombard and invade the Gaza Strip. The international community has the legal and moral responsibility to protect the Palestinian population living under Israeli occupation and to hold Israel accountable regarding its severe violations of the international humanitarian law. Lack of accountability will continue to fuel Israeli atrocities and crimes. Lack of international action will continue to increase the list of people killed.